Let us come to you or join us here at GTEC for our 5 Day Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations (2391-51) Course and update your knowledge and skills in our first-class training facility in the heart of the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. We work with the best trainers and assessors in small groups to give you exceptional individual training, making sure that you fully understand what you are learning and helping you to get the very best out of your course.
We work with and support local businesses to provide excellent catering throughout the course duration and can also provide you with good deals on local accommodation in town (less than half a mile away) should you need it.
Who is it for & why is it important to me?
This course has been designed specifically for practising electricians who have not carried out inspection and testing since qualifying or who require some update of training before progressing to other City & Guilds qualifications. Upon completion you will have the competencies to test and inspect a range of installations in both domestic & commercial properties and in addition, you will be able to test and inspect existing installations undertaken by other domestic installers & electrical engineers.
It is recommended that learners should have suitable knowledge of electrical theory and ideally be working within the electrical or a related industry.
In addition, it is strongly recommended that candidates with limited experience of initial inspection of electrical installations, first undertake the current
Completion of this course can help you to progress in your career as an electrician and you can be confident that it is well respected within your industry, and it will increase your credibility and give you the competitive edge by showing your customers that you are trained to the highest of standards.
How long is the course and what is included?
This course is 5 days in total. The cost of the course includes training, assessment, the certification fee and course material as well as lunch and refreshments throughout the day. 0% financing is available for this course (terms and conditions will apply).
What does the course cover?
The course covers the principles, practices and legislation for periodic inspection and testing and reporting of electrical installations in accordance with regulations and requirements.
Skills and essential background knowledge that are covered within the course include:
- Safe isolation of electrical circuits and installations
- Requirements for Inspecting and Testing of existing electrical installations
- The completion of the Electrical Installation Condition Report and Supporting Documentation
- Requirements for completing the periodic inspection of electrical installations
- The differences between periodic inspection and initial verification
- Requirements for the safe testing of electrical installations which have been placed in service
- Requirements for testing before circuits are energised
- Requirements for testing energised installations
- Understand and interpret test results
- Requirements for the completion of electrical installation condition reports and associated documentation
- How to confirm safety of system and equipment prior to completion of inspection, testing and commissioning
- How to carry out inspection of electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- How to test electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- How to produce a condition report with recording observations and classifications
Included in the above, you will also cover:
- Health and Safety requirements
Relevant documentation will also be covered, including:
- Requirements for the inspection
- Reasons for inspection and testing
- Factors that affect conductor resistance
- Completing insulation resistance testing
- Common earth fault loop paths
- Methods for verifying protection
- Methods for testing the operation of residual current devices
- Information in condition report
How will I learn and be assessed?
- One multiple choice test
- Three practical tasks
What do I need to bring to the course?
Candidates will require access to the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations, the Onsite Guide and IEE Guidance Note 3 and we can provide these books for you at cost. Please contact our Training Dept. team on 01969 666111 for further details and prices.
All additional course material required will be provided by GTEC.
Who is the certification body for this course?
City & Guilds.
You will receive your City & Guilds Level 3 award approximately 4 to 6 weeks following successful completion as all aspects of the course.
What can this qualification lead on to?
Once you have completed this essential course there are many other areas you may choose to expand your professional development, including:
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations 3 Day Course
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations 1 Day Course
- Portable Appliance Test (PAT) 2 Day Course